Sunday, December 11, 2011

W.E. is Brilliant - *UPDATE


I saw W.E. on Friday and it is beyond fabulous. As we all know, different rules apply to Madonna than for other 'celebrities', so I don't know what the Not of This World expectation was this time around. As a director, Madonna has a unique vision and style. W.E. is a feminine piece of cinema written, directed and produced by a woman who single handedly changed feminism, Madonna Louise Ciccone. So bow for that alone.

I was skeptical about the double tiered story but Madonna cleverly weaves that beautifully with visually stunning camera work, cinematography and keeping a great pace. I didn't prefer one story over the other for they are one. For example, in one scene Wally is eavesdropping on a conversation Wallis is having. Great lines within. Wallis (Andrea Wiseborough) is delicious to watch with all her impish mannerisms and I really fell in love with Wally (Abbie Cornish), a vision of loveliness. I was drawn into each love story thoroughly, including the one between Wally and Wallis. And Evengi (Oscar Isaac) is not tough look at, I can assure you.

I was fascinated with connecting the dots with all the Madonna's we have known for the last 28 years. For a moment in the film while Wally is going through Wallis' items at Sotheby's auction house, I imagined that would be like us fans, years from now, seeing Madonna's items in a museum. Like Filth and Wisdom, it's interesting to me that Madonna creates characters that are a slice of the Madonna pie. I think all fans will have a good time uncovering and discovering of which era certain scenes echo.

Now playing at the Arclight Cinema in Hollywood for a week.


Click HERE for tickets

---

UPDATE* 12.12.11 12:38 PST

The legendary Joan Collins twittered about W.E.


Slant Magazine Review HERE