Saturday, March 6, 2010

Madonna, Martin Burgoyne, Erica Bell and Bags at Haoui Montaug's No Entiendes Cabaret Performing 'Everybody' for the very first time - 1982.

In early 1985, fans got their first proper Madonna Book - like Culture Club's When Cameras Go Crazy only better because it was Madonna, Lucky Star.

The Lucky Star Book
, as my friends and I referred to it, was written by Michael Mckenzie and designed by Martin Burgoyne - it was our Bible. It was the first time we saw Island Magazine!

Full of never before seen pictures taken not only by the books author but Laura Levine, Beth Baptiste, Dan Gilroy, Stephen Jon Lewicki (Bruna!), Marcus Leatherdale, Patrick McMullan, Debroah Feingold, Edo Bertoglio (Maripol's boyfriend) and heaps others. It was the first time fans had read about about Madonna's debut performance of Everybody in detail. It had taken place at the Danceteria at Haoui Montaug's Caberet Show, No Entiendes.

Like reading about the 4 track demo that got her signed to Sire Records, I thought it would never see the light of day. However, a few years ago, Everybody hit the internet.

To make a long story longer, I remember the day I bought my first computer. I got it at Best Buy and it was that very day at that very store that I saw Stephen Bray's Pre-Madonna, the cd that not only had the songs from the 4 track demo but some new ones that I had only read about in Entertainment Weekly. I was more excited about the cd than my computer.

Anyway, here it is. Madonna's very first performance of Everybody at the Danceteria plus scans of details from The Lucky Star Book.