Wednesday, March 17, 2010

"Shoulda, Coulda, Woulda" - The Erotica Album.



I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with Madonna's 5th studio album Erotica. She didn't hit a home run with this one for me. However, don't get me wrong for the songs I love, I love.

The hip hop beats and Middle Eastern vibe under the cold yet sexy vocals of Erotica and Waiting. The hard disco of Deeper and Deeper and Fever. The urgency and hyperactivity of Words. The jazz fused drum 'n bass beats of Secret Garden. The arrangements and emotional vocals of Bad Girl and In This Life. All perfection.

The videos are amazing - from the super 8 vintage look of Erotica to the Hollywood slickness of Mark Romanek's Rain. Bobby Wood's Warholian Deeper and Deeper with original Warhol Superstar Holly Woodlawn and, of course, one of her greatest videos to date - in the purest form of today's extremely overused word - David Fincher's truly 'Epic' Bad Girl .

I know it's many fans favorite album and it could have been be for me, too, had she shaved a few songs off and rearranged the track-listing. Thank God for iTunes. In a perfect world, Erotica would have been released as such:

Erotica
Fever
Words
Waiting
Bad Girl
Deeper and Deeper
Secret Garden
In This Life
Rain


This is the commercial that ran on television for the Erotica album in 1992.