Tuesday, June 1, 2010

The First Album: Madonna - Lucky Star.

As most of you know, Madonna's first album was originally set to be called Lucky Star. Photographed by Maripol's boyfriend, Edo Bertoglio and designed by Martin Burgoyne. Wheels were in motion, copies were pressed but then Madonna sat with Gary Heery and everything was changed. Thank God. And that's exactly what I told some dude peddling it at the Madonna convention in 2000 chasing me down trying to get me to buy it. I mean, as great as it is, it looks more like a Cherelle album than Madonna. All colorized/tinted and shyt.


Fans first saw the Edo Bertoglio photographs in Madonna's first biography, the Martin Burgoyne designed book of the same name, Lucky Star. They're fabulous, sexy, with a splash of old Hollywood and wonderful but I'm sure we are all in agreement that the final product was, in fact, the best choice. If not one of the greatest records covers of all time. Certainly, it is for me.

Edo Bertoglio photograph of an early Madonna. Gorgeous.

The back side of the Burning Up single when the album was still called Lucky Star.

The Real Deal. The way it was supposed to be. There could have been no other.