Sunday, February 14, 2010

But in the Process I Forgot

On April 22, 2003, Madonna gave an extraordinary performance of X-static Process from her brilliant American Life album on MTV, although this performance was left off the proper broadcast. I believe they showed it later on M2.

American Life is either very loved or very disliked by fans and critics alike but I tend to believe that this is the most experimental progressive album that Madonna has ever produced. I find it as personal and introspective as Like a Prayer or Ray of Light, if not more. I name those albums because they have the all around reputation of being pioneering and confessional. In my opinion, Madonna, more often than not, writes with the honesty of her moment, therefore I find most of her songs introspective.

As for the modern, radical, wicked sound of this record, Mirwais is up there as my favorite Madonna co-producer/writer along with Stephen Bray and Pharrell Williams. Mirwais' avant garde production tendencies match the innate funk of the aforementioned. Interesting that the track X-static Process was co-written by Stuart Price, not really his style. It's in songs like this that I sense Madonna's proficiency as a powerfully skillful lyricist and record producer. Credit she rarely receives.

I believe that American Life will have the respect it deserves one day. Sometimes great work is better left out of the mainstream. This was released at the height of the hideous Boy Bands and Teen Queens phase, which inevitably lead to MTV's deterioration. She was way too ahead with this piece for common mortals.